Full project title:Reviewing of international approaches to organic regulations and labelling - production, economic and market access implications for UK
Contract period:1 February 2018 to 31 July 2018
Contact staff at ORC:Dr. Susanne Padel
Other staff involved:Samantha Mullender, Stefano Orsini, Nic Lampkin
With our imminent exit from the EU, the second project provides information from which to review our national organic regulations for England and Wales following EU exit. The project will review regulatory approaches controlling organic production and provisions for trade in other countries and summarise their strengths and opportunities. In addition, the project is tasked with exploring the organic labelling used by other countries such as those in USA and Norway.
The work involves:
- Comparison of organic regulation models (lead by Organic Services)
- Labelling options (lead by ORC)
- Stakeholder engagement (lead by EcoS)
- Final report (lead by ORC
ORC leads the project and contributes to all work areas.
Project leader and partners
Organic Research Centre (Lead)
- Organic Services, an international consultancy based in Germany, specialising in support of organic guarantee systems, drawing on extensive experience and an integrated and interdisciplinary approach.
- EcoS Consultancy: provides research, technical, policy and market development services with over 20 years’ experience with a primary focus on organic food and farming, animal health & welfare, carbon and pesticide reduction policy.
- FiBL is an independent, non-profit, research institute with the aim of advancing cutting-edge science in the field of organic agriculture.