Agroforestry Innovation Networks
Full project title:Agroforestry Innovation Networks
Contract period:1 January 2017 to 31 December 2019
Main funder:European Commission (H2020)
Contact staff at ORC:Ms. Sally Westaway
Other staff involved:Jo Smith
- Establish and coordinate Regional AF Innovation Networks (RAINs) across Europe, to create an appropriate ecosystem that allows the exchange of knowledge and experience, develop ideas, identify knowledge gaps, enhance networking and motivate the various actors involved.
- To build the Agroforestry Knowledge Cloud (KC) that will support knowledge exchange by integrating and synthesizing existing pools of information (including regional, national and international project results, grey and scientific literature, and knowledge coming from the RAINs, experiences, innovations, etc.) and gather all the available sources into one state-of-the-art Knowledge Cloud repository.
- To improve the applied knowledge about AF practices of the different target groups, through specific dissemination activities and training, in order to promote sustainable land management throughout Europe.
- To maximize synergies with European, national and regional policies.
- To communicate the AFINET outputs across Europe and internationally, through close interactions with farmer networks and extension services, the EIP-AGRI service point, civil dialogue groups and other European bodies reaching a wide audience for the project activities and results.
Working with our UK partners ABACUS Agriculture, and in collaboration with the UK’s Agroforestry Group, the Farm Woodland Forum, we will be setting up a UK RAIN with a series of practical stakeholder events to discuss and learn from each other. These events are likely to be held on farms and will focus on gathering together existing knowledge, identifying gaps, innovative practices and solutions. Working with project partners, we will contribute to the knowledge cloud, and help design and develop new material for agroforestry practitioners.
Current progress highlights
Agroforestry design for livestock and arable farmers. Workshop report from David Rose's Farm
Agroforestry design workshop for growers. Report from AFINET workshop at Wakelyns Agroforestry
The UK Agroforestry Network workshops. Reports from the group meetings
Agroforestry for growers: Report from workshop at Tolhurst Organics, September 2017
Trees and livestock What is the role of trees and woodland on an upland livestock farm today? Workshop at Mains of Fincastle Farm, Pitlochry, September 2017
Tree Fodder: Food for Thought Report, presentations and videos from the workshop held at Elm Farm, May 2017.
Project leader and partners
- USC Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Spain (Coordinators)
- ORC Organic Research Centre, UK
- EV ILVO Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research, Belgium
- ISA Instituto Superior de Agronomía, Portugal
- IUNG-PIB Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation, Poland
- INAGRO Inagro, Belgium
- NyME-KKK University of West Hungary Cooperational Research Centre Nonprofit Ltd (NYUGAT), Hungary
- ABACUS Agriculture Ltd, UK
- IBAF-CNR Istituto di Biologia Agro-ambientale e Forestale Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Italy
- EURAF European Agroforestry Federation
- AFAF Association Française d’Agroforesterie, France
- FEUGA Fundación Empresa-Universidad Gallega, Spain
- EFI European Forest Institute, Finland